Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Icing on the Cake

The mini foods I best like to create are cakes, pastries and breads. (Oh, my sweet tooth!)
I thought I'd share the types of cake icings I use for different effects.

This cherry cake is frosted with a mixture of liquid Sculpey and polymer clay. It takes a lot of effort to get it smooth but it's worth the effort. I frosted between the baked layers of the cake, the sides and finally the top, baking for five minutes in between each step. It gets quite messy otherwise. 



 This St. Patrick's Day cake is iced with molding paste. It's light, fluffy and has that homemade look. Molding paste requires no baking as it air dries.


 This Christmas cake is made with a plain white clay layer. It is decorated only with the candies, Santa, and the trees. This creates a smooth, fondant look. All pieces were baked separately then glued into place.


 For a ganache effect, combine triple thick glaze or similar with paints or chalks of your choice. Then drizzle over your cake. It's also great for making chocolate covered strawberries.


 Another example of molding paste, this time with a touch of yellow paint added in. Molding paste comes in several brand names and is available in the art supplies/paint section of your hobby store.


For a smoother look, I wet my fingers and patted the molding paste down on this cake.


For intricate details, try mix molding paste with a touch of cornstarch before piping your designs. It helps the small details to hold their shape. This is something I am still working on. I do know that too much cornstarch will cause your creation to crack.

Do you frost your mini cakes using any of these methods or something else?
 Have fun and happy baking!
Toodles,
Cyndy

No comments:

Post a Comment